Friday, April 17, 2009

Why Invisible Zebra?

Seems random and odd, huh? Am I hallucinating? No, I wanted to come up with a fun and meaningful title that at least somewhat describes me. The zebra part comes from the saying "when you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras." As in, just because that is what is taught in the medical field, does not mean that is the way it is ALL the time! I am a zebra in this case, because I have accumulated so many rare, out of the box diagnoses.

The invisible part refers to having an invisible chronic illness. I may not look sick, or like to think of myself as such. But, I can not change what is on the inside. My symptoms can't often be seen by the naked eye, but does not mean they are not there. One of the hardest things with an "invisible" disorder is that it is invisible and others do not know or understand what you are going through. They think that you are making it all up or are giving them a hard time.

So, that is why this is called "Invisible Zebra".

No comments:

Post a Comment