Monday, May 4, 2009

I READ a book!!!

Okay, it is now TWO books! But, it just seems like such an accompishment. Sounds REALLY stupid I know! BUT, for years I couldn't even keep up with required reading for school, so I did not do much leisure reading. Then, since being on all the meds etc. I have tried to read books a few times. I believe there was only one stretch of time, about a year ago, where I was able to SIT down and read a book!

Why is it such a hard task??? For one, the sitting still part is difficult. Due to a multitude of reasons. Restless Legs Syndrome, blood pooling causing the need to move around and fidget a lot, low blood pressure when sitting still, decreased blood flow to brain causing it to be difficult to understand and retain the information presented in a book. Not to mention the ADHD making a task that requires one to sit still and FOCUS on a book with words. I could probably handle a picture book, but I think I am past that point!!! Another thing that make reading difficult is migraines and their auras... I sit there reading and every few minutes I see spots out of the corner of my eye, something on the floor, or some other fun visual disturbance. It takes away the concentration from reading, makes one lose their place, and can make them see something else that they want to do across the room, and lose all attention towards the book they were reading. All this is without ANY significant pain, with any migraine pain, I do not try to read. It is too hard, and makes things worse!

How is that for an explanation on why being able to read a book is such an accomplishment?! :)

And I started my THIRD this morning!!!

YAY! For not being able to sleep! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment